CALCE Return on Investment (ROI)
Every organization has their own accepted methods of determining
their return on investment from research and development activities.
1) Determining the value to the company in extra profit or
revenue, or in revenue that would have been lost without the investment.
2) Determining the in-house costs of reproducing the equivalent
value, or by determining the equivalent cost of reproducing the value if all the
discrete portions of the return had been purchased independently.
While the first method is preferable, it represents a difficult,
and often impossible, analysis to perform. To aid CALCE members in a
simple assessment of their CALCE membership ROI based on the equivalent cost of reproducing the
value delivered by CALCE, we provide the following calculator:
Calculator Usage Notes:
1) Make sure that all data entered into the calculator
represents the same time period, i.e., the calculator was targeted for
the assessment of a single year of membership.
2) Values do not have to be entered as whole numbers
(integers). Feel free to put in fractional quantities, i.e., we actively
participated in 2.5 projects in 2001.
3) You can customize the effective value of each of the elements
by pressing the "Data" button and customizing the default inputs.