The International Microelectronics and Packaging Society’s roots stretch over forty years with the formation of the International Society for Hybrid Microelectronics (ISHM) in 1967. In 1997 ISHM merged with the International Electronic Packaging Society (IEPS) to form IMAPS and has since become the largest society dedicated to the advancement of microelectronics and electronic packaging.
The IMAPS student chapter at the University of Maryland is composed of several graduate students whose focus is in the field of microelectronics and electronics packaging. Many members are involved in microelectronics reliability through their graduate research at the Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering (CALCE).
Call for poster submissions for the IMAPS/CALCE Student Poster Contest
IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter Summer Technical Symposium - June 8th 2017
University of Maryland and IMAPS
The University of Maryland has one of the world's largest research center focusing on electronics reliability. This center, the Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering, was established in 1986. Since then, CALCE has grown to be recognized as one of international leaders in reliability of electronics based on Physics-of-Failure analysis. The wide scope of CALCE’s research on reliability of electronics products and systems spans prognostics and health management of electronics, cost modeling, MEMS reliability and more. CALCE is led by founder and director, IMAPS Fellow and George Dieter Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Michael Pecht. Professor Pecht is a world renowned reliability engineer and educator with numerous awards.
The IMAPS student chapter at University of Maryland, College Park was started in 2000. It comprised of graduate students and research staff from CALCE. The student chapter was originally headed and advised by Dr. Patrick McCluskey . However, the chapter eventually became dormant towards the latter half of the 2000s. It was later revived in 2011, and today consists of more than 20 graduate students and research faculty from CALCE. The chapter is currently led by Dr. Diganta Das. Dr. Michael Osterman, the director of the CALCE Electronics Products and Systems Center is also actively involved with the chapter and its activities.
The first general body meeting of IMAPS student chapter was held on March 18, 2011. Since then, the University of Maryland IMAPS student chapter has held and participated in several events. The chapter organizes a poster presentation competition every semester. The events provide the members opportunities to interact with other members of the Chesapeake chapter and various industry experts.
IMAPS members at general body meeting of UMCP chapter
International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society Chesapeake Chapter Fall Technical Symposium - November 2015
These are some of the events that the University of Maryland IMAPS student chapter has organized and participated in
July 2014 - IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter Summer Symposium
The IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter held its summer technical symposium on July 23, 2014, at the Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) of Johns Hopkins University. The symposium focused on the reliability issues and emerging trends in capacitive energy storage technologies. Read more about it here.
February 2014 - IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter, Winter Technical Symposium and Poster Competition
Click here for more information on the event.
Click here for the Poster Competition details and results.
September 2013 - International Symposium on Microelectronics
The 46th International Symposium on Microelectronics was held in Orlando, Florida, USA, and was being organized by the International Microelectronics and Packaging Society (IMAPS). UMD student chapter members Sandeep Menon and Elviz George, presented papers and managed a booth at the conference. Elviz won the .outstanding paper award. and .best of session paper award. at the IMAPS International Symposium of Microelectronics for his paper .Thermal Cycling Reliability of Alternative Low-Silver Tin-based Solders.. Professor McCluskey of CALCE had also presented a paper in the conference.
October 2012 - Poster Competition on Microelectronics Packaging and Reliability
University of Maryland IMAPS student chapter hosted a poster competition for the students at University of Maryland 3 pm on October 30, 2012. The event provided an opportunity for the students to highlight their research work and interact with the industry experts. The event also featured three distinguished speakers from the field of microelectronics and packaging. The event was hosted with the support of the IMAPS Chesapeake chapter.
September 2012 - International Symposium on Microelectronics
The 45th International Symposium on Microelectronics was held in San Diego, California, USA, and was being organized by the International Microelectronics and Packaging Society (IMAPS). UMD student chapter members Sandeep Menon and Elviz George, attended the conference. Elviz George presented his paper at the conference, while Sandeep Menon and Fei Chai had their research work displayed and presented in the poster session. Professor McCluskey of CALCE had also presented a paper in the session on lead-free solders and ROHS. In addition, the University of Maryland IMAPS student chapter had managed a booth showcasing the chapter’s activities and achievements in the complimentary space provided by IMAPS. More details on the conference can be found here .
|IMAPS UMD student chapter member Sandeep Menon with the chapter’s booth at the 45th International Symposium on Microelectronics
||IMAPS UMD student chapter members with the speakers Dr. Singh, Dr. Katsis and Dr. Kostic at the Chesapeake Chapter Summer Technical Symposium
August 2012 – IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter Summer Technical Symposium
The bi-annual Chesapeake Chapter Technical Symposium was co-hosted by the University of Maryland IMAPS student chapter. This symposium was held on August 1, 2012 at the Applied Physics Lab (affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University) in Laurel, MD. The student chapter took an active role in inviting the speakers for the symposium. There were talks by Dr. Dimosthenis Katsis, Chief Technology Officer of Athena Energy, Dr. Ranbir Singh, President of GeneSIC Semiconductor and Dr. Andrew Kostic, Senior Project Leader at the Aerospace Corporation. More details can be found here.
March 2012 – IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter Spring Technical Symposium
On March 14th, 2012, CALCE and the University of Maryland IMAPS Student chapter hosted the IMAPS Chesapeake Chapter Spring Technical Symposium. The theme for the evening was thermal management and featured three speakers representing academia, industry, and government. The speakers included Darin Sharar, a mechanical engineer at the U. S. Army Research Labs, David Saums from DS&A LLC thermal materials consulting, and Prof. Avram Bar-Cohen, former department chairman and current DARPA program manager. The event included a dinner and concluded with a poster display and discussion by several graduate students in the mechanical engineering department. Details, reviews, pictures and more can be found here.
July 2011 – Poster Competition on Microelectronics Packaging
The Chapter hosted a poster competition on microelectronics packaging. This event highlighted student research in the field of microelectronics and packaging through a poster presentation and contest. The event also included two distinguished speakers who provided a unique look into the state of microelectronics and packaging in today’s industry. The event concluded with a dinner and an optional tour of CALCE’s state of the art laboratories. The schedule and description of the events and talks for this event can be found here at the IMAPS website.
May 2011 – Military ATW on High Reliability for Military
This workshop was held at Baltimore, Maryland on May 17th 2011. It focused on the latest military electronic devices, systems, and applications, with particular emphasis on system level issues that have an impact on mission assurance as well as the connected issues at the design and applications level. Several of the chapter’s students attended the workshop and also presented their papers. The details of the event can be found here on the IMAPS website.
March 2011 – Chesapeake Chapter Dinner Meeting
This meeting was held on March 30th, 2011 at the Applied Physics Lab (affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University) in Laurel, Maryland. Several of the chapter’s members attended the event. CALCE’s Dr. Michael Azarian gave a talk on the reliability of printed circuit boards in humid environments. Details of the event can be found here.
July 2012 –University of Maryland IMAPS Student Chapter has a General Body Meeting. New members are welcomed and plans are made for the upcoming Chesapeake Chapter Technical Symposium and International Symposium on Microelectronics.
June 2012 - University of Maryland IMAPS Student Chapter members Edwin Sustrino, Moon-Hwan Chang, and Yan Ning are part of the team that took first place in the IEEE Reliability Society’s Prognostics Challenge. The students presented their approach at the 2012 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management in Denver, Colorado, during the 18th–21st June. Additional information can be found here.
Publications by IMAPS Student Chapter Members
- Model Based Battery Management System for Condition Based Maintenance, Nick Williard, Wei He, and M Pecht, MFPT 2012 Proceedings, 2012.
- Reliability of Gull-Wing and Leadless Packages Subjected to Temperature Cycling After Rework, F. Chai, M. Osterman, and M. Pecht, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials, 2012.
- Canary Approach for Monitoring BGA Interconnect Reliability Under Temperature Cycling, P. Chauhan, M. Osterman and M. Pecht, The MFPT 2012 Proceedings, 2012.
- Light Emitting Diodes Reliability Review, M.H. Chang, D. Das, P. Varde, M. Pecht,Microelectronics Reliability, Volume 52, Issue 5, Pages 762-782, May 2012.
- Performance of MEMS Vibratory Gyroscopes in Harsh Environments, Chandradip Patel and Patrick McCluskey, 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Device Packaging, March 2012.
- Simulation of MEMS Vibratory Gyroscope through Simulink, Chandradip Patel and Patrick McCluskey, 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Device Packaging, March 2012.
- Identification of Failure Mechanisms to Enhance Prognostic Outcomes, S. Mathew, M. Alam, and M. Pecht, ASM Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention: Volume 12, Issue 1, Page 66-73, 2012
- Thermal Cycling Reliability of Lead-Free Solders (SAC305 and Sn3.5Ag) for High-Temperature Applications, E. George, D. Das, M. Osterman, and M. Pecht, Device and Materials Reliability, IEEE Transactions on , vol.11, no.2, pp.328-338, June 2011
- Prognostics of lithium-ion batteries based on Dempster–Shafer theory and the Bayesian Monte Carlo method, W.He, N. Williard, M. Osterman, M. Pecht, Journal of Power Sources 196 (2011) 10314– 10321, 2011.
- Disassembly methodology for conducting failure analysis on lithium–ion batteries, N. Williard, B. Sood, M. Osterman, and M. Pecht, Journal of Material Sciences: Material Electron (2011) 22:1616–1630, 2011.
- Remaining Useful Performance Analysis of Batteries, W. He, N. Williard, M. Osterman, and M. Pecht, IEEE: International Prognostics and Health Management Conference, Denver CO, June 21-23, 2011.
- Prognostics of Lithium-ion Batteries using Extended Kalman Filtering, W. He, N. Williard, M. Osterman, and M. Pecht, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on High Reliability Microelectronics for Military Applications, Linthicum Heights, MD, May 17-19, 2011.
- Predicting Remaining Capacity of Batteries for UAVs and Electric Vehicle Applications, N. Williard, W. He, M. Osterman, M. Pecht, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on High Reliability Microelectronics for Military Applications, Linthicum Heights, MD, May 17-19, 2011.
- CLCC Solder Joint Life Prediction under Complex Temperature Cycling Loading, F. Chai, M. Osterman, M. Pecht, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on High Reliability Microelectronics for Military Applications, Linthicum Heights, MD, May 17-19, 2011.
- Thermal Cycling Reliability of Sn96.5Ag3.0Cu0.5 Solder Assembled with ENIG and OSP Pad Finishes, P. Chauhan, M. Osterman and M. Pecht, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on High Reliability Microelectronics for Military Applications, Linthicum Heights, MD, May 17-19, 2011.
- Point-of-care Biosensor System, S. Arvind, R. Doraiswami, D. Mahadeo, Y. Huang and M. Pecht, Frontiers in Bioscience, 2011.
- Junction Temperature Characterization of High Power Light Emitting Diodes, M. Chang, D. Das, and M. Pecht, IMAPS Mid-Atlantic Microelectronics Conference 2011, Atlantic City, New Jersey,June 23-24, 2011.
- Assessment of Solder Dipping as a Tin Whisker Mitigation Strategy, S. Mathew, W. Wang, M.Osterman and M. Pecht,Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology,IEEE Trans. on , Vol. 1, No. 6, pp. 957-963, June 2011.
- Identification Of Failure Mechanisms To Enhance Prognostic Outcomes, S. Mathew, M. Alam, and M. Pecht, MFPT: The Applied Systems Health Management Conference 2011, Virginia Beach, Virginia, May 10-12, 2011.
- Thermal Cycling Reliability of Package on Packages Assembled by One-Pass and Two-Pass Techniques, N. Williard, P. Chauhan, V. Srinivas, M. Osterman, M. Pecht and R. Farrell, Proceedings of the 2010 SMTA International Conference and Exhibition, Orlando, FL, October 24-28, 2010.
- Impact of Thermal Aging on the Thermal Fatigue Durability and Interfacial Intermetallic Compounds Thickness in Pb-free Solder Joints, P. Chauhan, M. Mueller, M. Osterman and M. Pecht, Electronics Systems Integration Conferences (ESTC), Sept. 2010.
- Concerns with Interconnect Reliability Assessment of High Power Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), M. -H. Chang, D. Das, S. W. Lee, and M. Pecht, SMTA China South Technical Conference 2010, Shenzhen, China, pp. 63-69, Aug. 31st - Sep. 2nd, 2010.
- Board Level Reliability Evaluation of Low Silver (Ag) Content Lead-free Solder Joints at Low Strain Rates, V. Srinivas, N. Williard, P. Chauhan, and M. Osterman, SMTA International Conference on Solder Reliability, May 2010.
- Impact of Thermal Aging on the Growth of Cu-Sn Intermetallic Compounds in Pb-free Solder Joints in 2512 Resistors, P. Chauhan, M. Osterman and M.Pecht, Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE2009), Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA, November 13-19, 2009.
- Physics of Failure Based Virtual Testing of Communication Hardware, Elviz George, Diganta Das, Michael Osterman, and Michael Pecht, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, US, 13-19 Nov, 2009.
- Reliability of SAC305 and Sn3.5Ag Solders under High Temperature Thermal Cycling, Elviz George, Diganta Das, Michael Osterman, and Michael Pecht, International Conference on Soldering & Reliability (SMTA), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 20-22 May, 2009.
- Effect of temperature cycling parameters on the durability of Pb-free solders, M. Osterman and P. Chauhan, IMAPS 2009 42nd International Symposium on Microelectronics, San Jose Convention Center - San Jose, California, USA, November 1-5, 2009.
- Critical Review of the Engelmaier Model for Solder Joint Creep Fatigue Reliability, P. Chauhan, M. Osterman, M. Pecht and S.W.R. Lee, IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 693-700, September 2009.
- Evaluation of Pure Tin Plated Copper Alloy Substrates for Tin Whiskers, S. Mathew, M. Osterman, M. Pecht, and F. Dunlevey, Circuit World, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 3-8, 2009.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Diganta Das
President: Anto Peter
Vice President: Liliane Tessa
Treasurer: Hannes Greve
Secretary: Jingshi Meng